Sunday, January 3, 2010

363 days of sketches!


A lot of my friends (particularly the ones who quit drawing after college) have "Dark Detective" superhero stories that they'd like to tell. Mostly they come off as fan fiction or revamps of the more popular dark detective superhero who will remain nameless at this point. I tell people "make you're own character for that story! Think of how you would personally handle that archtype and let me tell you, creation is a slippery slope!".

Here's an example of one such creation. Don't have a name for it yet, and haven't really settled on a costume, but I wanted to try it with really dark eyes in the mask. Read the notes on Gary Frank's Batman: Earth one sketches, where he mentions that he's going to make the eyes "visible" through the mask for a fresh take on the character. I thought "That's the dumbest shit i've ever heard. Batman aint Captain America...but now that I think about it, what if the eyes were soo hidden that it frightened people? Like the abyss staring back at you." Anyway, this is my first take on this idea.

No comments: